Wednesday, November 28, 2007
First Thoughts on Winter Biking- The Honeymoon phase?
Did you see that??
It's kind of hard to get a good picture of but that is some street grit
impressed into my face y'all!
Why yes, I am hardcore. Thank you for noticing!
The weather is now in the 30's. Winter biking is in full effect. Some thoughts:
- Here's the thing I thought I'd never say. When properly attired(and that is critical) it is actually quite pleasant to bike in the cold. The first day it dipped below freezing I put on all 3 layers I own and had to strip down after a mile. I was DYING of HEAT. I'm saving that middle layer and will try it again when it gets to 25-20.
- When there are 20mph winds (against me) the previous statement is retracted.
- I busted out the face mask shortly after the above pics were taken. My face is not only grit-free but enjoys a nice, breathy steam bath on the way to work instead of being whipped dry by the wind. However, gum or teeth brushing prior to riding is imperative.
- The mid-weight tights I bought are NOT going to cut it. Even w/a second layer on top of them, my skin is still cold to the touch after I take a shower!
- I have been seeing some spectacular winter sunrises ranging from pale blues and pinks to this mornings vibrant yellow, orange and fuchsia streaked with purple. I wish I had a camera attached to my helmet!