Thursday, August 14, 2008

Still Belly Dancing

(My Teacher, Sonya. http://www.sonyassouk.com/)

It is hard to believe that as of this fall, I will have been taking belly dance classes for (UPDATED: I think Joe is right)2 years!. One strange (or not so strange) thing I have been noticing over the past session is that I am one of the more experienced people in class. This is due to several things, one being that a lot of the more senior girls started to take a semi-pro class and they are not often there on the day I come to class, and the other is that there are ladies that have been working up the chain from beginners that are now starting to attend the class. It all makes perfect, logical sense. And yet it still really took me by surprise last night when my teacher came around for corrections and didn't have any for me!

(Though to be fair, the moves she was correcting on were ones I was fairly experienced with. Believe me- there's plenty of stuff I need to work on!)

I think it will probably take a little while to get accustomed to my new status. :)

There is also another opportunity for me to do some performing over the next couple of months. I really enjoy the dance, which is a more folksy style and uses a prop (a stick) -which is really fun. It also has very little spinning which is always a plus for me. BUT. I am trying to be really conscious of my time and life schedule and have determined that I really can't devote more than one day a week to it. Meaning that I would have to have class and rehearsal on the same day. It's kind of a lot to ask scheduling-wise both of my instructor- mainly because the space is probably mostly being used for class time, and the other dancers, So I'll just have to wait and see if they can work with me or not. But I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have reminded SRM and LitS of your talent and they have asked you to bring your outfit to Ohio this weekend to entertain at the wedding reception.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

3 years?!? Already? Holy crap. Maybe I just find out about you taking the class late.

Me like Sonya!!! Maybe I'll start taking the class too....or just show up and watch very creepily......

alexis said...

that's really amazing, I cannot believe you've been belly dancing for so long! You must be a semi-pro at least!