Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sweet Corn

I grew up in Maryland and every summer we could look forward to sweet corn. Silver Queen was the inevitable variety. White and sweet, it was easily found by the side of the road (our hometown abutted a lot of farms, at least during my childhood). Husband grew up in the Bay Area and also grew up on white sweet corn (10 for a $1 at the roadside farm stand).

In IL, land of large agribusiness corn, a lot of corn is advertised as sweet but it rarely is. Almost always bi-color, it is generally a sturdy, bland tasting thing that serves as a vehicle for lots of butter and salt and pepper.

But we got lucky at the farmer's market yesterday and scored some ears of the sweetest corn I've ever had in IL- no condiments required.

Sadly we only bought 5 ears- which we devoured amongst the 3 of us last night. So I have to keep my fingers crossed they will have more next week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had good sweet corn, but mostly from Wisconsin. Lisa

Anonymous said...

I currently live in Maryland, and I can vouch for the fact that there is still lots of terrific sweet corn here.

Dad said...

For some reason our local corn is very scarce this year :(

Stef said...

Doh- i just realized that corn was probably from another state!

alexis said...

we have soulless corn here - comes partially unhusked and always in batches of two or three already packed up. And it's like 3 for 2 EUR.

kristinkegs said...

which farmers market do you go to stef?