Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pig Roasting

What a wonderful weekend we had. It was so nice to get out of town and away from all our troubles for a little while.

My Aunt B and her DH (Uncle G.)very graciously put us up at their home in Homerville, OH. The property is surrounded by farms and woodland. I was very excited to see how entertaining is done in the country. Apparently- it is on a mass scale! In addition to all of their friends and relations, Uncle G. went around and invited all the neighbors resulting in an estimated attendance of well over 100 people!

Husband started the day by getting up at the crack of dawn to help put the 130 lb pig into the assembly. (this is well documented in my coverage of last year's pig roast) I spent the later part of the morning helping to get tables set up in the garage for pot luck but by early afternoon we were able to take a kite flying break.


Miss Dukes and the cows next door.


Husband and I took turns playing parking attendant. He is easily identified by the official-looking orange vest. (Vest is Aunt B.'s for when she walks in the woods during deer season!)

The pig takes a little longer to cook than anticipated. Luckily, there is a ton of food! (amazingly, the only things left at the end of the night are a few store-bought baked goods)

The finished piggie, lovingly attended most of the day by both my husband and Cousin-in-law A.

This is a very large group of very happy diners.
After dinner, my cousin S got busy getting everyone playing a huge assortment of lawn games including bocce, volleyball, cornhole and badminton. As the sun went down and so did the temperature the evening ended, as I've learned these things often do, with a bonfire and s'mores.

What a great day. Big props to my Aunt and Uncle for pulling off such a wonderful event and for letting us be a part of it.

7 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I think you HAVE to invite the neighbors....you never know when you're going to need them to help in a barn raising.

Interesting that a 130 lb pig fed all of those people. I guess that's probably about a pound per person...that's plenty!

alexis said...

wow and what great weather! but what is cornhole?

Anonymous said...

Come for the pork, stay for the bocce! That's our motto.

Unknown said...

That looks like a great time. I've never thrown a party that needed a parking attendant.

Dad said...

What an Event! Wish we could have been there :(

Anonymous said...

Is that the dragon kite I see? Lisa

Bernice said...

Thanks for the great reporting. I have finally sufficiently recovered to consider posting on it. Took sis to airport at 5:00 am today.