Wednesday, May 16, 2007

TeeVee

Husband and I recently obtained cable television after nearly 5 years without it.

I'll be honest. I think I manage to watch plenty of TV no matter how many stations I have available to me. There just comes a certain time of the day where I want to turn my brain off, and unless I am reading a really good book, tv is where i zone.

But I think the machine is driving us apart. Mainly because the selection of programming that we both want to watch is slender at best. Which leaves us with a majority of shows that one or the other of us is lukewarm about (at best) or that one or the other of us can't stand. (at worst)

I married a sports guy. I have been resigned to be a football widow pretty much since we met, but the availability of sports on the cable means that pretty much any time of day there is a game of some sort or other on. It doesn't help that the Bulls are in the playoffs right now. So Husband's default channels are invariably of the sporting variety. I can handle a little sport once or twice a week, but not every damn day.

My go to channels? (For Brain-numbing only mind you- we also visit the PBS fairly often and dabbles in History channel) Well, ok admittedly not very guy friendly. Bravo (Any of the "Top" programs - even the hairdresser one), TLC (What Not to Wear- it's useful!), Food Network (The rare occasion of a cooking show, Iron Chef), and E! (The Soup and urm... ok I don't know why but I totally have a guilty pleasure in The Girls Next Door. Anyone with me?)

So what happens? I go upstairs and watch in bed, that's what.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next stop: sleeping in separate rooms.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the reason why your mother and I have totally separate tv's in totally separate rooms now becomes clearer - definitely the key to a long lasting marriage. Remember Grandma and Grandpa did the same thing.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Seems pretty common. I, of course, would be doing the sports thing too. Though when I was living with my last girlfriend, I watched my share of those shows you watch......but she watched her share of sports too!!

alexis said...

that sucks stef! Do you think it will be something you can live with, like dad says?

stef said...

J- we're gonna try that twin bed thing first.

Pulisha said...

Honestly, I don't think there's any avoiding it. I didn't have cable for years, it wasn't until T and I moved to LA that we got Direct TV (footbal package, hockey package, oh joy! ;) Now we spend most of our time arguing over what to watch, which is silly since we have two tvs. I think it is inevitable in coupledom that you will argue over what to watch on tv. We've comprimised that I will watch all football and hockey games, but I will not be forced to suffer through basketball (seriously, the last 2 minutes takes like 20 b/c of timeouts, who can watch that!!??) or, god forbid, baseball, which has to be the most boring sport to watch next to golf. In return, T is not allowed to bitch about my reality tv obsession (he even watched the season finale of America's Next Top Model with me, hee!).

Erin said...

I too have an unhealthy obsession with the Bravo shows (can't WAIT for the next Project Runway!), and yesterday I actually asked my mom's hairdresser if she watched Shear Genius - needless to say, she was not amused. She of course said it was "totally unrealistic" but I quickly put my fingers in my ears and said "la la la" because if that's not real, I don't want to know what is.