Friday, August 1, 2008

SOJU-D

You'll have to pardon me if I'm a little rough around the edges this morning. I have been soju-d.

Last night, Dad took us out to delicious, moderately-priced, child friendly korean bbq place with excellent service up the street from us. (A place Husband and I always say we must visit more often and then never do unless a parent is in town.) Dad had recently tasted the pleasures of soju and felt the need to share the experience with me. For those of you who have not yet had the pleasure:

Soju is a distilled alcohol made from a variety of things. The bottle we had last night consisted of 60% grain, 20% sweet potato, and 20% tapioca and ran about 20% alcohol content. So that puts it at considerably less than your run-of-the-mill american spirit, yet quite a bit more than your average belgian beer. It is poured into shot glasses and it is traditionally the host's job to make sure the guest's glass is full. (To make sure they are well inebriated when it is time to get down to business negotiations!)

It goes down like the smoothest vodka you've ever had with a bit of sweetness. It pairs excellently with spicy, salty food and is also scrumptious with a giant bottle of Asahi back. Yes, that's liquor with a beer chaser. Hence, my present state.

This is all to say that you should by all means try soju- but you have been fairly warned not to treat it lightly! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rode the storm out well and definitely looked none the worse for wear this morning.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Damn, that sounds fantastic. I'm going to have to get me some. With a beer chaser too? Who would have thought....

Like father like daughter.....I'm not saying, I'm just saying....

Anonymous said...

I recommend lots of chamomile tea and avoiding your father when he's got a bottle in his hand :)

alexis said...

I know what I'm getting next time I go to the booze store! Alas the one and only Korean resto in Amsterdam closed earlier this year. :(