I am planning a baby shower for the end of the month. The theme is the baby's unique heritage, a combo of New Mexican and Irish. The party is from 1-4pm and I will be serving heavy hors d'oeurves and a cake or cupcakes of some kind. So far I have 12 confirmed guests and I am guessing the end total will be 15-20.
My original concept was to try to blend the two cuisines but that has not come up with too many good and easily executed ideas. So I am thinking now to just do a combo of Irish and New Mexican items. My constraints is that the majority of the food is coming from myself (I sent out an email for assistance and only got one response) and the party is on a Saturday afternoon so my prep time is somewhat limited. What this means is that I don't want to overburden myself with handmade items, yet at the same time I don't want a table laden with purchased (possibly expensive) pre-made items. I also don't own any chafing dishes so that kind of keeps out items that need to be kept warm. (warm items will have to be passed, or be items that are edible at room temperature. i.e. nothing covered in melted cheese that will congeal)
So I thought I'd throw it out to you internets foodie readers of mine to see if you have any good suggestions. Here are some of my ideas so far:
- Irish Cheddar and Stout Fondue (I DO have a fondue pot and I like the idea of this, served with steamed potatoes and veggies. Probably quick and easy to execute but could be messy)
UPDATED: BCD Girl #1 Commented that this fondue will not work for the kind of party I'm planning. Need another Irish dish recommendation!
- Irish brown bread w/Smoked Salmon, chives and soft butter Canapes (provided I can purchase brown bread somewhere, will only require assembly day of)
- Chips and salsa and guac (dur)
- Pre-packaged "taquitos" (Costco) served w/homemade red and green chile sauce
I really need a spectacular cake idea. Actually, I really need someone else to bring the cake. ha ha! Anything you see on this list I should or shouldn't do? Something else to round it out? Looking at it here. I'm thinking this may be enough for the amount of guests I have (including at least one other dish being brought)
- I truly do love living in Chicago in the summertime. I'll leave it at that.
- The ability to communicate with my partner when something is troubling one of us
- Feeling like I have some job security (today)